Lyon president, Jean-Michel Aulas, has said the collapse of Alexandre Lacazette’s move to Atletico Madrid is “good and bad news” for his club.
Lacazette was in advanced talks with the La Liga side, before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), on Thursday upheld the transfer ban imposed on Atletico.
The decision leaves the 26-year-old striker in limbo, as Atletico cannot register new players until January 2018.
“Real and Barca [previously] saw their [transfer] punishment reduced with a favourable decision, it wasn’t the case for Atletico,” Aulas said after seeing Lyon’s women’s team claim a fourth Women’s Champions League trophy.
“It’s good and bad news. It was, in financial terms, a very significant operation. Of course that has changed everything.
“We had given Alex the green light to go to Atletico, the club of his heart. I’ve not had his agent on the phone, nor him, as I’ve been in Cardiff, but I had said to Alexandre not to get too far ahead of himself, as there can always be disappointments in football. It brings into question the commitments made on both sides. We had made progress on possible solutions. We might have one extra striker next season.”